Fresh paint to your home’s exterior has the power to totally transform the look of your house in less time and for less cash than any other remodeling project.
But, painting your home doesn’t have to mean hiring a team of professionals. Here are a few tips to help you protect your investment. Good luck and happy painting!
- Check the weather before you start your project.
- When purchasing your materials, remember quality over price. Although good deals are exciting, having quality paint will make all the difference in the long run.
- Pressure-wash to remove dirt, working from top to bottom.
- Repair any damaged wood, masonry, metal, siding, and/or stucco before painting.
- Remove any loose paint around the perimeter of the house.
- Use exterior caulk to fill any gaps between the house and trim around windows and doors.
- Cover all doors, windows, and exterior lighting fixtures. Don’t forget to cover bushes too!
- Paint the exterior, then doors, and finally the trim.
- Regularly touch up your front door and mailbox. These may be the littlest parts of your exterior, but they are the first things people see up close!