With all of the decorations, shopping, parties, and fun coming up with the holiday season, it’s important to keep your home safe.
- Keep your travel plans offline. Don’t post on social media details about where you are going, when you are leaving, or when you will be back.
- Notify a neighbor. Ask a trusted neighbor to keep an eye on your house, keep your walks free of snow, and to pick up mail, newspapers, and packages if you have plans to be away.
- Hide any holiday gifts. Make sure gifts are hidden from a potential burglar. Keep items away from windows or other places with a view.
- Check your Christmas lights. December is the deadliest month for electrical fires, according to the U.S. Fire Administration, so make sure to inspect the strands for frayed cords. Try using an outdoor timer to switch lights on and off.
- Inspect the furnace and chimney. Change your furnace filter, or better yet, have a professional inspect your furnace. Before you use the fireplace, have it serviced by a professional.