Many people that I talk to this time of year say they are going to wait until spring to list their house. Perhaps it is because they just don’t want to move while it’s cold out, although most express they will delay listing because they believe the popular misconception that spring is the best time to sell. Here are my top 5 reasons that this winter is a great time to sell:
- Less Tire Kickers. One of the top complaints that I hear from my clients is that our marketing brings in so many buyers to tour their house that they get tired of showing it. With all the distractions of the holidays and the inconvenience of travel in the snow and cold, the buyers that are touring homes at this time of year are dead serious about buying. So, you may get fewer showings, but you’ll get more serious buyers.
- Less Competition. The best part of having fewer homes on the market is that there are FEWER HOMES ON THE MARKET with which to compete! This may help your house stand out to get it sold quicker and buyers may be more willing to overlook minor blemishes or defects.
- Smoother Process. During the winter months, most of the people who help your transaction along (Lenders, Inspectors, Title Companies, Realtors) are not as busy and so they can give your transaction more of their time, which in turn typically makes things go more smoothly.
- Lower Interest Rates. With all indications pointing to the Federal Reserve raising interest rates, it may make a lot of dollars and sense to make a move now. Locking in a lower interest rate now can save you thousands of dollars in the long run.
- More Money! According to a Redfin study, homes are 9% more likely to sell, sell 1 week faster, and sell for 1.2% more in the winter months than they do any other time of year. Enough said.