Thinking about winter so soon probably brings a chill to most homeowners, but now is a great time to prepare your home for the winter months. As temperatures begin to dip, your home will require maintenance to keep it in tip-top shape.
- Check all the weatherstripping around windows and door frames for leaks to prevent heat loss. Replace weatherstripping, if necessary.
- Shut off exterior faucets. Drain water from outdoor pipes, valves, and sprinkler heads to protect against pipe bursts.
- Make sure you have an ample supply of ice melt or sand on hand for steps, walkways, and the driveway.
- Inspect the firebox and flue system to ensure that they’re clean of any soot or creosote and that there aren’t any cracks or voids that could cause a fire hazard.
- Check the gutters and downspouts for proper fastening, and re-secure if loose or sagging. The weight of snow and ice can pull gutters off the house.
For a complete list of tips visit Bob Vila’s Website!